I'm a jeweller without a studio, for this reason I've been focusing on materials that don't require a lot of equipment lately. I have been working with resin for a few years now, a material which I love for the way it accepts colour and embedded objects and pictures. I'm also very interested in acrylic plastic and I plan to work more with that in the near future as well. My designs are bold and colourful.

Sunday, May 18, 2008

The Work of Robert K. Chen

I thought it would be interesting to share some of the work of at least one of my classmates from George Brown College. Robert Chen is a graduate of the Jewellery Arts Program at GBC, a program that differs from the one that I took in that it runs a year longer and students have the opportunity to focus on perfecting their design skills as well as their technical skills. The award-winning rings to the left are an example of some of Rob's work.

"My Formula is: 1", a composition of three rings in bronze, sterling silver, and 22k yellow gold, which have been highlighted with colour using a specialized car paint application, won Best in Show for 4th annual Zilberschmuck Art - Jewellery National Juried Exhibition of Canadian Fine Jewellery and Metalwork. For this Exhibition, Canadian jewellers and metalsmiths both professional and jewellery arts students were invited to interpret the term “FORMULA”. This word motivated Rob to make Mercedes-Benz F1 race car inspired rings, the materials referencing firsts, second, and third place winners of Formula 1 racing.

No comments: