I'm a jeweller without a studio, for this reason I've been focusing on materials that don't require a lot of equipment lately. I have been working with resin for a few years now, a material which I love for the way it accepts colour and embedded objects and pictures. I'm also very interested in acrylic plastic and I plan to work more with that in the near future as well. My designs are bold and colourful.

Saturday, March 10, 2007

Intersession Week

Two weeks back, I had a week off from school. Of course I managed to spend just as much time on campus as I do when my regular classes are in session. I spent a lot of time catching up on work and I also took a mind opening workshop on acrylic plastic taught by the internationally recognized jeweller, Adam Paxon.

The workshop consisted of a little bit of demonstration and a lot of experimentation. Adam taught us about the properties of acrylic and the way it can be shaped and manipulated into interesting forms. I have only ever seen acrylic (in jewellery) as 2D shapes cut out from the material. The idea that it can be bent, stretched, and laminated to create beautiful works of art really excites me and I can't wait to work with it again. The image to the left is an example of some of Adam's work.

No comments: